Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fractions on the Farm


Summer brings calving season, which makes a lot more work for the boys and I.  It is my favorite time.  I remember when I was growing up my mom and I getting  ready to go do chores and we would walk over to the barn to fee all of the calves, so it is a bit of a tradition when I'm doing this with my boys.

We feed our calves fresh milk, we do not use milk replacer.  When it comes time to for feeding we need to wait until Scott has milked a cow with the bucket milker.  After receiving the milk in a pail we then have to divide it among smaller pails, or bottles. HHMMMM.....fractions!!! So, I casually ask Evan how we will know each calf is getting the same amount.  He said,"well just fill it up to the same spot, mom." So I questioned a bit more, "So, say 1/3 of the bucket?"  Then there was the look, "huh"?  So I began to talk with him about how if there are 3 1/3rds  that makes a whole.  We got a little deeper into fractions by trying to figure out how we could divide the whole bucket into four smaller buckets, and he got it.  He said, "Well wouldn't that be 1/4?"  YES!!!!  Then I had to do my pitch about how math is everywhere in your daily life.

It hurts when people say, "Oh, your husband is a farmer....." What people do not realize is how incredibly smart farmers are!  There is so much math on a farm.  From the size of tools to being able to figure out if tonight's milking is going to fit in the bulk tank.  Education is around my boys all of the time and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

To have your children practice fractions click here.  This is a great site for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment