Thursday, June 27, 2013

Will I ever really use this???

When are we ever really going to use this?????

This is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Math is everywhere all of the time!! 
So, yes my answer is yes.  You will use this, whether you know it or not!


 


I gave my son three dollars to go buy water at the Renaissance Festival last year.  He came back with $.50 and a bottle of water.  My reaction?  “Holy $2.00 for a bottle of water, crazy!”  He just looked at me and said, “No, mom it was $1.50”  Well, come to find out Evan knew that she owed him another dollar but didn’t have enough courage to ask for it.  Of course being the outspoken person I am we went back to the stand and asked for our dollar.  She looked a little sheepish knowing that she was trying to take advantage of an 8 year old.  This brings me to my point of knowing math and being able to know how much money that you get back when making a purchase.
When my sons and I go grocery shopping we figure out the best deals.  We compare price and size.  I make it a game and they think of it as a challenge.  Children need to know how to add the cost of items and subtract from the budget amount.  This is a life long skill that everyone should know.  They also need to know when there is something special that they want to buy, how much money they need and what chores they have to do to get it.

 According to the Minnesota State Standards Strand 3 Geometry and Measurement, the standard 3.3.3.3 states, "Use time, money, temperature to solve real-world mathematical problems." The benchmark states, "Make change up to one dollar in several different ways, including with a few coins as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment